Sunday 2 February 2014

Vintage Beauty in the Modern Age: 1970's Glamour






This a little series I have created to showcase some makeup looks inspired by vintage trends. Today's look is massively inspired by the disco glamour-puss look that IS the seventies. I was majorly inspired to try this look after drooling over the makeup looks in American Hustle. After doing a little research into the makeup of the seventies, I have discovered that it was all about the heavily contoured cheeks, the classic "seventie's stripes" of bright blush across the face, sultry smokey eyes, glitter, bright lips, and gloss. The 70's had some heavy looks for going out and here is my toned down version of 70's glamour makeup. I really enjoyed making this post and getting trying something different with my makeup. I'm hoping to do some posts on other eras of makeup (suggestions welcome!). 

For this look, I looked at some 70's Cosmopolitan magazine covers, along with some pictures of Amy Adams from the movie, American Hustle. I decided to go with a heavy dose of bronzer under the cheekbones, a deep rose blush swiped across the cheeks, bright reddish-pink lips with sparkly pink gloss, and a glittery smokey eye using a black and steely blue eyeshadow with a taupe glitter pressed onto the top. I found it really weird not to touch my brows, but brows weren't big in the 70's. In fact, they were quite skinny but I definitely didn't plan on plucking mine away, so I left them bare. 

Here's a breakdown of the look: 

BASE: I used Too Faced Primed and Poreless Face Primer to prep the skin.Though the 70's was all about a dewy complexion, my skin is not good enough to part with a full-coverage foundation. So I mixed in Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in 100 Ivory to my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in 1W1 Bone to add a little bit of glow. I covered up blemishes with Bobbi Brown Creamy Corrector in Porcelain Bisque and set the concealer with Clarins Ever Matte Powder in 00 Opale. I chose to keep the look as glowy as possible, so I held off on putting powder anywhere besides the concealer. I used the Clarins Instant Light Brush On Perfector to highlight the under eyes, top of the cheeks, temples, down the nose and above the cupids bow.  

CHEEKS: I first used my Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer to contour the hollows of my cheeks to make them look as pronounced as possible. I also used a small amount down the sides of my nose to make the nose look slim. I them used Nars Blush in Amour (a rosey coral shade) swiped in diagonal lines across the cheeks to make the 70's stripes. I would normally never put blush on so heavy but I was trying to stay true to the time. 

EYES: For the sultry smokey eye, I began by priming the lids with Urban Decay Primer Potion. I used the black shade from the Urban Decay Naked Palette called Creep (second last shadow in the palette) to sweep a fairly thick line across the lash line and blended the edges upwards towards the crease. I then filled in the center of the lid with Gunmetal, a steely blue from the palette (the last shadow on the right) and blended out any harsh lines. From my research, I realized that many of the smokey eyeshadow looks had a messy appearance to them, almost if they had been slapped on without care and smudged out with a finger (hence: I was not too careful about this look). I used a super soft kohl pencil to line the lower lash line and dragged the line up towards the brow for a slight cat eye flick(which I blended in with my finger for subtle definition). For this, I used Elizabeth Arden Smokey Eyes Pencil in Espresso. I patted on L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Tender Caramel over the entire smokey eye with my finger for extra glimmer and sheen.The disco girls of the 70's did not go for big lashes, so I used Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara for separation and definition of the lashes without looking too voluminous. I combed Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara through my brows to keep them in place. 

LIPS: Bright, bold lips were all the rage in the 70's. Lip liner was basically never used, and lipstick was used alone to create bold lips that were fun and undone. I chose to use Lancome Rouge in Love Lipstick in 163M to mimic that bright fuschia pink seen so often in the 70's. I topped the lipstick off by putting a heavy coat of Revlon Colorburst Gloss in 006 Strawberry to add gloss and glitter to the pout. 


I am really pleased with the way it turned out, and I loved getting to research beauty of a different generation and try to recreate it in my own way. Would you try to wear a 70's look? Are there elements that you like/don't like? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Stacy, that lip color is absolutely stunning! Also, I didn't think smokey eyes and bright lips jive...but girl you pulled it off :) its a subtle smokey eye too....just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! The look is definitely strong, and definitely not for everyone but I had so much fun creating it! I would definitely consider using elements of the look for some time when I'm going out. I also liked the pink glossy lips a lot more than I was expecting to! Thanks for commenting! xo

      Delete