Friday 21 February 2014

Adventurous Beauty: Nars Satin Lip Pencil Review


I'm a creature of habit. I'm no stranger to wearing bold looks but I tend to go back to the same looks time and time again. Yes, I wear deep smokey eyes. And yes, I wear red lips and sometimes deep vampy plum. But I don't ever sport hot pink lips. Ever. I'm not a fan of pink against my own skintone but it's time to experiment and step outside my comfort zone a little. This is where the NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu comes in. It was not my first choice of the gorgeous range of lip pencils (the wine colored “Palais Royale” makes me swoon) but I decided to be rebellious and go for the less expected choice. It's definitely a different look for me but I think I have a soft spot for it. The satin lip pencil formula is absolutely beautiful, and I will likely be purchasing at least one more in the future. It looks like a lipliner but is used as a lipstick and liner in one. Super easy to apply, literally like coloring in the lips. The only downfall to this product is the fact that the pencil itself needs to sharpening, rather than having a twist-up mechanism (shame on you, Nars!). On the whole it is an exciting release that makes my heart flutter (I think I have a problem). Here's what I thought:

COLOR: The color of the “Yu” is described as “shocking pink” and I think I would agree. I first feared that this pink would look extremely cool-toned but after applying it for the first time it actually leans slightly warm on my lips. The pigmentation is insane and it takes very little effort to achieve an extremely hot pink pout. This shade is not for the faint of heart but still looks very feminine rather than punk. An amazing shade for spring that certainly livens up the face. The nice thing about wearing such a bright pink is that the rest of the face can be left quite clean and neutral. Which makes this a perfect choice to throw in your bag to take your look from day to night in seconds.

FINISH: The NARS Satin Lip Pencils are as the name suggests, a satin finish. Not overly shiny but slightly sheeny, similar to a semi-matte lipstick. Luckily these lip pencils have the pigmentation of a matte lipstick. Once the shine wears away, the lips remained stained and heavily pigmented. This product survived on my lips while I ate pizza and drank beer (classy, right?) and nothing EVER lasts on me through eating without needing a touch up. The lip pencils are super long wearing yet comfortable. My lips did not feel dry until hours later. Another plus, it doesn't feel tight or heavy on the lips, it hardly feels like wearing anything at all.

OVERALL GRADE: A+

I love this purchase, I just need to get the courage to wear it more often. Such a stunning product that gets my stamp of approval. Even if you aren't looking for hot pink lips this spring, I highly suggest purchasing one of these pencils in the shade of your choice.

Have you tried the Nars Satin Lip Pencil? What are your thoughts on bright pink lips? Let me know in the comments below.


Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment