Monday 10 March 2014

When to Save: My Drugstore Essentials

Happy Monday ladies and gents! Today I'm happy to present my guide to budget beauty. As a self-professed beauty addict, I am completely smitten with high-end beauty products but I think there is a time and place for splurging. There are some fantastic products out there for a good price that I wouldn't dream of spending any large amount of money on. Through much trial and error, I have figured out what works for me and where to save a penny here and there.

NAIL POLISH: With the fantastic quality of drugstore nail polish, why would anybody spend $25 on a high-end nail polish (not that there's anything wrong with that, to each their own)? I look to the drugstore for additions to my nail polish collection and trying new trends without breaking the bank. Some great brands include L'Oreal ("#410 L'orange" pictured above), Revlon ("#490 Urban"), Sally Hansen (Xtreme Wear range is great, "#33 Pacific Blue") and Pure Ice ("Jail Bait",review here).

SINGLE EYE SHADOWS: For some reason, I haven't had much luck finding drugstore eye shadow quads that I like. I have had great luck with singles though. The L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadows are wonderful pressed pigments that look so chic and I've found that they are best used pressed on with the finger on to the lid. They come in a huge range of colors and are a great way to try something new before investing in expensive eye palettes. The Maybelline Color Tattoos are much hyped in the beauty community and for good reason. These cream eye shadows come at a great price point, I'm in love with the neutral shades that can be used in underneath powder shadow or used alone for a wash of color over the lid. They last all day and do not budge once they set. These are a great introduction to cream eye shadow for beginners. The Rimmel ScandalEyes Eye Shadow Sticks are also a no fail option. They can be used as liners, all over the lid as eye shadow, or on the inner corner of the eye as a highlight. Absolutely brilliant!

BATH AND BODY PRODUCTS: There are so many great lotions and potions are a great price point. I don't see the point in paying big bucks for body butters and shower gels when the cheaper alternatives perform exactly the same. If you look out for sales, there are great deals to be found at Bath and Body Works and The Body Shop with so many beautiful scents to choose from. At the drugstore, some of my favorite brands for body wash include Dove, Aveeno and Nivea. For body lotion, I adore Garnier Intensive 7 Day Ultra Softening Lotion which sinks in so fast and is non-greasy.

MATTE AND SHEER LIPSTICKS: I love high end brands for satin/creme finish lipsticks but have found some highly impressive matte/sheer lipsticks at the drugstore. The Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipsticks have a fantastic formula that's highly pigmented, long-lasting and doesn't dry out the lips. My favorite shades include a deep plum (#107) and a bright coral red (#110). Wet n Wild also do great matte lipsticks that feel really moisturizing, I have the shade #903C Just Peachy and it may be my favorite lip product for spring (I'm wearing it in this post). My favorite sheer lipstick formula is the Maybelline Color Whispers, which come in a wide range of on-trend colors. A fantastic tinted lip balm for busy days is the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm, I have the shade Pink Blossom and it never leaves the pocket of my scrubs while nursing.

EYELINERS: I use so many drugstore eye liners in my daily makeup routine. There are so many colors to choose from, not to mention some impressive long lasting formulas. My top picks include Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal, NYX  Eye Pencils, and Milani Liquid Eye Pencils.

L'OREAL MAGIC LUMI LIGHT INFUSING PRIMER: My latest obsession, read about it here.

EYEBROW GEL: I wouldn't dream of paying more than $5 for a brow gel. It's basically hair gel in a mascara tube. I like Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara and the even cheaper Essence Lash & Brow Mascara.

MASCARA: I love the infamous mascaras done by the likes of Clinique, Lancome and Estee Lauder, but it's definitely not necessary to buy expensive mascara when there are comparable drugstore options. My favorites include Maybelline The Falsies, L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara (I cannot tell you the number of times I was asked if I was wearing false lashes when wearing this), and the classic L'Oreal Voluminous.

BRUSHES: It kills me to spend any large amount of money on makeup brushes when there are amazing and affordable options at the drugstore. The Real Techniques brushes are my absolute favorites, not one in particular, I love them all (available at Lawton's Drugmart and Walmart). They are synthetic which means they can be used for cream or powder makeup and are super easy to clean. I also love the Sonia Kashuk makeup brushes available at Target. Another brand of brushes that I haven't heard much about is Cala, they use natural bristles and are fantastic quality (available at Lawtons Drugmart).

So those are my recommendations for saving pennies when stocking up your makeup kit. If you watch for weekly sales, you will save yourself even more money and get these already great deals for a fraction of the price. What are your drugstore essentials?

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment