Saturday 22 March 2014

Hangover Beauty: The Morning After the Night Before


My Hungover Before
My Still Hungover After

Good morning folks! I'm currently writing to you from the comfort of my own bed, having had a little too much fun last night. For those of you who are feeling a little under the weather from the previous night's festivities, I have some tips on how to pull yourself together and look a little more human. There is no secret to looking or feeling great after a heavy night, but there are things you can do to counteract the side effects of a hangover.

SKINCARE

  • If you can remember to do nothing else, PLEASE wash your makeup off before bed. If you can't remember to do that, wash your face the very second you wake up. Stash some makeup remover wipes on your bedside table if that will increase the likelihood of washing your visage. I usually put some cotton pads and makeup remover on my sink before going out, as a reminder to wash my face when I get home. 
  • After you wake up in the morning, wash your face again! Now is the time to put the moisture back into your skin. This means bringing out the big guns, if you are a fan of face masks like I am, slap one on (I use Vichy Aqualia Thermal Masque). As an alternative, apply a rich moisturizer and really massage it into the skin to help things along. I love to use my Clarins Daily Moisturizer Energizing Cream which is loaded with Vitamin C to add some life back to my face, but any moisturizer will do. I also like to use an eye cream for my very puffy eyes (see picture above). Eye roller balls are also a fabulous invention to help bring down the swelling of puffy lids. The main idea is to use the skincare available to you as your toolkit for faking a good night's sleep (sans alcohol). 
  • Next, poor yourself a big glass of ice water and drink. Refill, and repeat.
MAKEUP
  • I like to use a hydrating base to improve the look of my parched complexion. If you own tinted moisturizers or BB/CC Creams, now is the time to break them out. This is not the time to load your face with tons of foundation because a cake face will not hide your hangover. If you only have a foundation on hand, mix in some moisturizer with it to make it look more dewy and radiant on the skin. I will used my trusty Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer for it's glowy finish. My favorite "photoshop in a bottle" primer also comes in very handy in this situation (read about it here), as it helps to add some radiance back to the face.
  • Concealer is your friend in this situation! Use a concealer under the eyes to conceal unsightly dark circles and bags and cover up those blemishes that may have popped up over night.
  • Next use a cream blush on the cheeks. I love cream blush because it looks really natural on the skin and helps to make the cheeks look plump and healthy. I chose the Bourjois Cream Blush in #1 Nude Velvet for a peachy tint that makes me look a little less corpse-like. 
  • Next up, add a nude color eye liner pencil to the lower waterline to counteract the redness of bloodshot eyes, I like my Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in 005 Nude for the job. Next add any eyeshadow of your liking to help cover the darkness surrounding the eyes. I like to use a light, neutral color like the Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Eyeshadow in Bold Gold. Finally, add a coat of black mascara to finish off the eyes.
  • Lastly, I like to apply a sheer tinted lip butter for a pretty and low maintenance pout. Today I'm using Maybelline Color Whisper in Pin Up Peach.
HAIR
  • I'm all about bed head. I like to channel my inner Kate Moss by messing up my hair a little more and using some dry shampoo to help give my hair that gritty texture that I love so much. If this grosses you out, opt for a messy bun or a classic ponytail that requires very little effort.
So there you have my top tips for hangover beauty. What are your favorite tips for disguising a hangover?

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that lipstick looks gorgeous on you! x

    Daphne | subgenre of a dream | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daphne! I'm a sucker for peachy pinks! xo

      Delete