Thursday 23 January 2014

The Body Shop Camomile Skin Care: A Thorough Review

A few months ago I happened into The Body Shop during the release of the Camomile skincare range. As I am always on the look out for skincare at a good price, I picked up three products from the range to try out. I purchased the Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter, the Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil and the Camomile Waterproof Eye & Lip Makeup Remover. If you cannot tell from the pictures, I have pretty much used up the eye makeup remover and cleansing butter (minus a few drops here and there) and I have used up about 75% of the cleansing oil. I wanted to use them up before giving a review because it can take months to see the benefits of skincare. I have tried other skincare bits from The Body Shop and been pleased in the past (I'd like to give a special shout-out to the Vitamin E SPF 15 Moisture Lotion) so it was interesting to trial the new products up their sleeve.

CAMOMILE SUMPUTOUS CLEANSING BUTTER

The Good: I love the gorgeous herbal scent, it makes it feel so much luxurious and expensive than it actually is. After washing this off well with a hot washcloth, my skin definitely felt very hydrated and soft. This was a saviour for my skin when it was very dry and irritated from the cold winter winds.

The Bad: I have such mixed feelings about this cleanser. Although I used up the entire tin, I'm not sure if it did my face any favors in the long run. I think that this cleansing butter was a little too heavy and rich for my skin type (combination) but I imagine it would be amazing for someone dealing with dry skin. I fear that the richness of this cleanser may have contributed to breakouts. I also found that even after cleansing my face with a washcloth a few times, I was left with a slight oily residue on the skin. The texture of the product is also a little strange. It is a semi-solid waxy type product that you have to scoop out with your finger and then massage into the face. Once the product heats up, it melts into an oil but there are occasionally some bits that do not dissolve and make the texture of it oily with chunky bits. It also made my eyes water, and I'm not sure why that happened since I didn't put it directly on my eye lids or general eye area.

Overall Grade: B (Purely because the product did not jive with my combo-skin, a dry-skinned individual may beg to differ).

CAMOMILE SILKY CLEANSING OIL

The Good: This cleansing oil is almost powerful enough to dissolve the most waterproof of makeup. I usually remove my eye makeup before washing my face but I did try this puppy on it's own a couple of times and I was pretty impressed. Also, it smells really nice.

The Bad: No matter how many times I tried to buff this oil off of my face with a washcloth, I could not get that greasy feeling to go away. This was a major turn off and I find it so annoying to get this product properly washed off of my face that I rarely bother to use it. This oil is super heavy and is probably not a good mix with my combo skin. I also found that the texture of the oil was much thinner than I expected. The oil would pretty much run out between my fingers from the time I pumped it into my hand and slapped it on to my face.

Overall Grade: D

CAMOMILE WATERPROOF EYE AND LIP MAKEUP REMOVER

The Good: Saving the best for last! I have nothing but good things to say about this product. It is definitely the star product of the range. This eye makeup remover can power through the most waterproof of eyeliners, the most stubborn of mascaras (I'm talking to you, Clinique High Impact Extreme Mascara), and the most potent lip stains known to man. There is nothing that I haven't been able to remove with a cotton pad and a good soaking of this makeup remover. It has two layers that settle in between use and you simply give the bottle a shake to mix it up before use. Another plus is that it didn't irritate my eyes.

The Bad: I have nothing bad to say about this... except that I ran out of it.

Overall Grade: A+

Have you tried any skin care products from The Body Shop? Has anyone had similar experiences with the cleansing butter/oil, or is it just me? Please let me know any recommendations in the comments below. 

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried the Cleansing Balm or Oil for the same reasons you dislike them (not so much for the combo skin), but the eye make-up remover is lovely. I wear contacts and I find a lot of other removers eithermake my eyes burn (especially if I don't remove my contacts) or don't really work that well. That stuff gets my Benefit They're Real! off without the burn which is the stamp of approval from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a contacts wearer Amanda and I haven't had a hitch with it at all! It's fabulous stuff, glad to know you're in agreement :) xo

    ReplyDelete