Sunday 17 November 2013

Seeing Red (Lipsticks)

From left to right: Maybelline Color Sensation #615 Summer Sunset, Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick #01, Clarins Rouge Prodige #135 Dark Cherry & Rouge Dior #844 Trafalgar
There's nothing like a red lipstick to get my heart pumping. From the time I was a little girl, I would watch the likes of Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood to catch a glimpse of the makeup looks on the red carpet. My favorite looks were always the classic pin-up looks, reminiscent of the glamorous 50's and 60's. A cat-eye slick of black eyeliner and a glossy red lip on the likes of Nicole Kidman... perfection. Today, I feel a little different about red lips in the sense that I can justify sporting a red lip every day. 
Maybelline Color Sensational #615 Summer Sunset (This looks much more red in person).





  
Option One: Lazy days. On the days I don't feel like doing the “full-face” look, I'll slap on some tinted moisturizer, comb through my thick brows, add a coat of mascara, and apply blush to the apples of my cheeks. For the finishing touch: a slick muted pinky-red lipstick. This is a great way to make yourself look so much more put together than you really are, but takes minimal effort.

My pick: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in 615 Summer Sunset. A gorgeously subtle rosy terracotta color with a satin finish. This is unlike any other color I own and is a beautiful subtle color that would be universally flattering on a variety of skin tones.
 
Clarins Rouge Prodige #135 Dark Cherry
Option Two: Bronzed Lids, Red Lips. I don't think there is anything more autumn-appropriate than a smokey brown eye with a pop of brick red on the lips. The smokey eye can be done using a variety of brown shades, anywhere from shimmery taupe to golden bronze to deep rich chocolate brown (I think this comes down to personal preference). This is a relaxed but more sultry look, appropriate for everyday wear. For night time, I would up the vamp-factor by applying a dark true red.

Daytime Pick: Clarins Rouge Prodige in 135 Dark Cherry. I'm not so sure this is a true cherry red, as it looks both cool-toned and warm-toned (how is that possible?). It is a gorgeous, creamy brick red that feels very lightweight on the lips.

Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick #01
Nightime Pick: Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick in 01.This is a beautiful Hollywood red that leans towards a blue-undertone with a rich, full coverage and a semi-matte finish. Lovely for a night out.
Rouge Dior #844 Trafalgar
Option Three: Orangey Red Insanity. This is my personal favorite red lipstick look. This look is bold look yet that I think would look good on most skintones (including pale girls like myself!). I love doing a neutral eye with a swipe of dark brown liner, slightly flicked at the edges for a feline look. For this look I go heavy on the mascara to balance out the bold, hot tamale lips. I also like to wear bronzer for this look to warm up my pale complexion.

My Pick : Rouge Dior in 844 Trafalgar. This lipstick is pure decadence and luxury. The color, I would describe as an intense orangey-red with a shiny finish. A lovely bold lip choice that screams for attention and is appropriate all year round. For a budget option that is similar to the Dior Rouge (which puts a dent in the bank balance), Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in 110. A lovely budget option with a matte finish and very similar in color. I would say this lipstick leans a little more pink, but is still a vibrant red-orange with full coverage.


How do you like you to wear your red lipstick? What are your favorite reds?

Thanks for reading!

Note: All makeup in today's post was purchased from Shopper's Drugmart for those of you who are wondering.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment