Sunday 24 November 2013

Plum-Smoked Eyes and Glossy Nude Lips (Drugstore Edition)



This week's makeup look is autumn-inspired and budget-friendly. I adore drugstore products for adding a seasonal update to the makeup bag without breaking the bank, as well as for trialling new colors. This look is really subtle with plum-washed lids and glossy lips (à la Kardashian sisters), without being too stark against my sun-starved pale complexion. Here's how I did the look:

Base: I began by applying my new Maybelline Fit Me Foundation Stick in #110 Porcelain all over and blending with the fingers. The foundation stick is great for lazy people like me or when you are pressed for time, with great coverage and a lovely velvety-matte finish (warning: This potentially caused me to breakout, though it's hard to say as I had a particularly busy and stressful week. This may not cause blemishes for others). I concealed my under eye circles with Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer in Very Fair, a neutral yellow toned concealer that works well to cover my ever-present blue-ish grey bags. Blemishes and scars were covered with Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer in #010 Ivory, a concealer with impressive coverage. As I have a tendency to get shiny in the T-zone after a few hours, I set the base makeup with Maybelline Fit Me Pressed Powder in #110 Porcelain.

Cheeks:  A swipe of NYX Cream Blush in #11 Boho Chic helped to bring some color to my face. This blush has a lovely dewy formula comparable to high-end cream blushes in my collection. I would describe the color as pink with a hint of peach. The blush adds some radiance to the skin and warms up the complexion without competing with the strong eyes.

Eyes: I applied a sheer wash of Maybelline Color Tattoo in #30 Pomegranate Punk over the lids. This is an impressive cream eyeshadow formulation from the drugstore, a gorgeous warm plum with golden shimmer running throughout. I have never experienced any creasing with this product and it lasts all day on the lids. I concentrated most of the color along the outside of the lid and into the crease. In the inner corners, I blended in Rimmel ScandalEyes Eyeshadow Stick in #002 Bulletproof Beige. This gorgeous golden champagne stick brings some shimmer and lightness to the tear duct and complements the color tattoo beautifully. For extra definition on the lashline, Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in #003 Brown did the trick. To jazz up the look, I used the shimmery dark brown liner to make a small feline-flick at the outer corners. I used lashings of L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara in #971 Black to add length and definition (and a fair bit of volume!) to my lashes. This is hands-down my favorite drugstore mascara.

Brows:  Although I recently tinted my brows, I still like to fill in the gaps with a brow pencil. For this, I chose Maybelline Define-A-Brow Pencil in Medium Brown. To keep my bushy brows in place, I used Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara as a brow gel (apologies for the grubby condition of mine, it's well loved).

 Lips: My favorite part of this look! I used Rimmel London Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in #113 to neutralize the natural pigment of my lips and make a "true nude" lip. To add dimension, shine and a touch of glitter, Rimmel Stay Glossy in #120 Non-Stop Glamour completed the Kardashian-inspired pout. 

What are your favorite products at the drugstore for autumnal makeup looks? I'm always looking for new products to try, so please leave your suggestions in the comments below.

Thanks for reading :) 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment