Tuesday 9 December 2014

Smashbox Studio Skin Foundation: A Review

Bare Face
Smashbox Studio Skin Foundation- 2 layers over blemishes
Full Face of Makeup
A new foundation has recently come into my life. After getting a pretty nasty breakout recently on one side of my face, I decided that I bring out the big guns and get a proper full coverage foundation. I picked up the Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation which boast a long list of claims. It's an oil free foundation which claims to wear for 15 hours with a buildable medium to full-coverage. It's a hydrating formal that is resistant to water, sweat and humidity.

Although this foundation does have many claims on the box, I actually don't disagree with any of them. Here's a quick break down of my thoughts on the foundation:

COVERAGE: I agree that it's a buildable medium to full coverage foundation. I apply one thin layer all over my face and go back over my problem areas (note: blemishes in first picture above) with a second layer. As you can see in the second picture, it did a pretty decent job of concealing blemishes on it's own, without the need for concealer.

LONGEVITY: I don't know how many people need their foundation to last for 15 hours, but I have probably worn it for about that long and it really wears beautifully throughout the day. The foundation does wear down a little around my chin and nose by the end of the day, but it lasts the longest of any other foundation I have tried.

FINISH: I love the finish of this foundation. It definitely has a very skin-like finish for a full coverage foundation. While it helps control oil, it definitely has a very slightly glowy finish. It has light-diffusing properties which help the skin look alive rather than matte and dead. Although I powder my t-zone out of habit, I've worn Studio Skin for an entire day without it and stayed matte. As you can see from the picture, it photographs beautifully and I would highly recommend it for brides and special occasions.

APPLICATION: Studio Skin is a thicker foundation with a gel consistency. Due to the thickness, I would recommend moisturizing the skin really well before applying or using a primer underneath. It also sets pretty quickly on the face, so I would recommend blending it in to separate areas of the face as you apply it.

COLOR SELECTION: This is literally my only issue with this product. I have the lightest shade, 1.1 and it is very dark for a fair girl like me. It also has a lot of yellow in it, which is fine for a warm-toned person like me but would not work for those with pink undertones. I need to wear a considerable amount of bronzer on my neck to make my face match the rest of my body. That said,  I love the foundation dearly and it is definitely worth it, but I wish there was a lighter shade that I could mix in to lighten it up.

OVERALL: 9/10

So that sums up the newest foundation in my collection. I'm pretty bummed that Smashbox doesn't cater to pale skin tones like myself but I truly think the formula is out of this world. If you can find a color match, I highly, highly recommend the foundation.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I love how it looks on you! Just wondering, but are you going to keep it even though it's not a perfect match for you? I always have foundations that don't perfectly match me and I get so conflicted since some of them are perfect except for the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to keep it because I can manage to make it work with a ton of bronzer. I've also been mixing it with lighter foundations for a better match. Thanks for commenting darling!

      Delete
  2. They finally came out with new shades that are lighter! Check them out!

    ReplyDelete